Sunday, July 17, 2011

Hello Doily and Grannie Smith Remembered

As soon as I saw Hello Doily in the new SU Idea Book and Catalog, I thought of my maternal grandmother, Ethel Smith.  I don't think that I have too many memories of my grandmother that didn't include a crochet hook or knitting needle in her hand.  She was a true artist.  She had macular degeneration in her senior years and she still was able to produce flawless creations with out patterns and her hands moved so fast, it was fascinating to watch.  This card says it all:
Grandma's Doily

I have entered this card in two challenges.  The first is at a new challenge blog and their first challenge: IN(K)SPIRE_me.  This was a real challenge for me to have this large color combination.  I did not have ribbon in any of these colors, so I dyed 5/8" Organza Ribbon with my Poppy Parade Marker, didn't it turn out great?  I embossed resisted with Peach Parfait, stamped my Remember When with Bravo Burgundy and set it all on a Melon Mambo card base.
The other challenge that I entered with this card is over at: "Less is More".  Their Week #24 Theme is Circles.  I thought that the Hello Doily and the Delicate Doilies stamp sets are circles.  Check out all of the other entries for these two challenges, lots of talented ladies have entered.

13 comments:

Kathyk said...

Lovely work

Kathyk

Andrea und Annemarie said...

Hi Debbie, thanks for joining us at the very first In{k}spire_me Challenge this week with your wonderful card! My memories of my grandma are very similar, she loved to do embroideries and crocheting. ~ Annemarie

Debs M said...

lovely stamps and colours x

Jessie@FitnessFamilyAndMore said...

Thank you so much for joining our challenge! The idea with dying a ribbon is a great one. I love how your card turned out. And the "Hello Doily" stamp is one of my favorites in the new caddy! - Jessie

Chrissie said...

This is really pretty, your post reminded me of my mother too... she was very nifty with a crochet hook or a pair of knitting needles!
Thanks so much for joining us and I hope you'll join us again next time.
Chrissie
Lady LIM
"Less is More"
If you could possibly remove the Word Verification option on your blog it would commenting much easier for us.

Lynne said...

Beautiful card and the sentiment is perfect.
Lynne xxx

Anonymous said...

I really love this simple card. Great idea to dye a ribbon :-)
Thanks for joining in over at In{k}spire_me!

KatheD said...

Debbie, this is a great card! I would have been overwhelmed with that many colors in a challenge and would never have imagined that it could still be clean & simple - this is really impressive.

Mandi said...

What a fantastic stamp
Your card is FAB, so striking
Thank you
Diva LIM
"Less is More"

Beryl K said...

Gorgeous card, love the stamps
Beryl x

Aileen said...

Beautiful card, lovely stamp. x

Beth Norman-Roberts said...

Found you by way of SCS gallery. I LOVE what you did with this stamp.

Anne Marie Hile said...

SO pretty! That big doiley is now on my ever-growing wish list. I actually love how you colored in the ribbon with the marker....never thought of that before! Thanks ofr the inspiration today! :)